Sunday, September 28, 2008

There is somewhere sunny all the time...

**
ORIGINAL POST: 18 June 2008
**



Whether you take that as being profound or just kinda, "Well, duh," it is true. Although it is late at night in Jerusalem right now, when the sun rises tomorrow morning (only a few hours from now) it will be a sunny day.

"What the heck are you talking about!?" you ask. Yeah, I even ask myself that from time to time...

But...

At long last, the film scans from Israel:

Street photography is what I enjoy more than any other genre. To go out with a little, inconspicuous film body with a short prime lens... that is where I am challenged and find the most satisfaction in my personal work. No long zooms - that's hunting squirrels with a bazooka.

Whether it is a peaceful moment in a quiet seaside hotel by the Sea of Galilee...

...or the bustling afternoon streets during Purim.

I love to go out and capture the side of life that I won't have any reason to remember in 10 or 15 or 20 years down the road... or even next year, for that matter!

I'll remember...

...when I visited the Western Wall on Shabbat before Purim.

I'll remember the droves of Jewish youth singing and dancing and praying...

...but I won't remember the walk through the Old City at dusk as we followed a number of Jewish men on their way to the Wall.

I'll remember our instructor Avner, of course...

...as he gave us the history and purpose and meaning behind the Wall.

But I will be hard pressed to remember the walk back through the Old City long after the night fell and the yellow glow of the street lamps was the only thing lighting our path...

There will be no way to remember the food that night...

...but we will remember that it was enjoyable to be with our friends.

That is why I photograph: to remember the little details in life that often times go unnoticed...

("πιστη" = "faith")

...or the big details in life that overshadow us all.

Just some remnant memories from Israel. That's all.


~Noah D.


-----------------------
(all with Leica M4-P w/ Cosina Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton - B&W was either Ilford HP5 400 or Fuji Neopan 400 and the color was Fuji Superia 200)

No comments: